Re: Bypassing the 2/3/4GB virtual memory space on 32-bit ports

On Thursday, August 22, 2019, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:03:01AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> so i hope that list gives a bit more context as to how serious the
> consequences of dropping 32 bit support really is.

I very much doubt we are any where near "dropping 32-bit support".

Theo you have not rear the context. Sam specifically asked a question and I answered it.

There's a lot of "all or nothing thinking" in your argumentation
style.

That would be incorrect, Theo. Having read the Debian Conduct Document, please also read it.

Also please review the context properly.

As Sam has said multiple times, what's much more likely is that the
set of packages that can't be built on native packages on 32-bit
platforms will grow over time.

Yes. Everyone is aware of that. It is why the conversation exists.

Why did you assume that I was not aware of this?

 The question is when will that
actually *matter*?  There are many of these packages which no one
would want to run on a 32-bit platform, especially if we're focusing
on the embedded use case.

That would also be specifically missing the point, which I have mentioned at least twice, namely that 32 bit Dual and Quad Core 1ghz and above systems are perfectly capable of running a full desktop environment.

Obvioudly you don't run video editing or other computationally heavy tasks on them, however many such so-called "embedded" claased processors were specifically designed for Android tablets or IPTV and so consequently not only are 3D capable, they also have 1080p video playback.

So again: these are NOT pathetic little SINGLE CORE 8 to 10 year old processors with 256 to 512MB of RAM (OMAP3 series, Allwinner A10), these are 2 to 5 year old DUAL to QUAD Core systems, 2 to 4 GB RAM, 1 to 1.5ghz and perfectly capable of booting to a full Desktop OS in 25 seconds or less.

The last time that we spoke, Theo, some time around 2003 you informed me that you were doing so very deliberately "to show everyone how stupid I was".  It was on the linux kernel lists.  It was also very shockingly unkind. I can see some signs that you are tryint to be deliberately confrontational and I do not like it.

As the Debian lists are covered by the Debian Conduct document, please read it and review the talk that was given in Taipei (it had a panel of 5 people including Steve McIntyre, if someone remembers it please do kindly post a link).

Thank you.

L.

--
---