Re: Bypassing the 2/3/4GB virtual memory space on 32-bit ports

Hi.
First, thanks for working with you.
I'm seeing a lot more depth into where you're coming from, and it is
greatly appreciated.
    \Luke> indeed.

    \Luke> i do get it - i did say.  i'm aware that software libre
    \Luke> developers aren't paid, so it's extremely challenging to
    \Luke> expect any change - at all.  they're certainly not paid by
    \Luke> the manufacturers of the hardware that their software
    \Luke> actually *runs* on.

    \Luke> i just... it's frustrating for me to think ahead, projecting
    \Luke> where things are going (which i do all the time), and see the
    \Luke> train wreck that has a high probability of occurring.

I'd like to better understand the train wreck you see.
What I see likely is that  the set of software that runs on 32-bit
arches will decrease over time, and the amount of time we'll spend
getting basic tools to work will increase.
We'll get some general approaches other folks have adopted into Debian
along the way.

Eventually, Debian itself will drop 32-bit arches.  I386 and proprietary
software and Steam will probably hold that off for a couple of releases.

32-bit support will continue for a bit beyond that in the Debian
ecosystem/Debian ports but with a decreasing fraction of the archive
building.

Meanwhile along the same path, there will be fewer 32-bit general
purpose systems in use.

Where is the train wreck?