Re: Generating new IDs for cloning (was Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 06:30:51PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> > So /etc/machine-id should be in Policy?
>
> Probably yes, if that proposal has consensus, although a prerequisite
> for it being in Policy would be to have an implementation of making it
> exist even on systems with neither systemd nor dbus installed (Policy
> is meant to document what's true, not what we hope will become true).

That's just a matter of having sysvinit (and other non-systemd init
systems) have an init script which runs as soon as the root file
system is remounted read/write to initialize /etc/machine-id if it
doesn't exist or if it is a zero-length file, right?

	      	       	    		      - Ted