Re: Generating new IDs for cloning (was Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID)

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 09:28:12 -0400, The Wanderer
<wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On 2019-08-07 at 04:26, Russell Stuart wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2019-08-07 at 09:34 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Debian for two decades now, and I realized that
>>> necessity two days ago.
>>
>> Ditto - except for me it was a few seconds ago.
>
>In my case, it was when I read this thread last night. (After more like
>~1.5 decades of Debian, for what that's worth.)

Generating a new machine-id doesn't seem as easy as generating a new
ssh key: Removing /etc/machine-id doesn't do it as
systemd-machine-id-setup seems to pull the machine-id from dbus.

I have four Banana Pis with identical machine IDs because they were
cloned from a common image. Since that one originates from a Debian
Wiki Page about the Banana Pi I guess that the vast majority of Banana
Pis running Debian has this machine id.

How do I generate a new one?

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |