Re: Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos

Quoting Marc Haber (2019-07-24 08:17:19)
> Do we have a build technology that uses containers instead of chroots yet?

Either using any container-based autopkgtest backend (like lxc or lxd):

    $ sbuild --chroot-mode=autopkgtest --autopkgtest-virt-server=lxc

Or using the built-in "unshare" backend which uses linux user namespaces:

    $ sbuild --chroot-mode=unshare --chroot=debian-unstable.tar

The latter allows one to either directly specify a chroot tarball with the
--chroot argument or will look inside ~/.cache/sbuild for a fitting chroot
tarball.

If you also build your chroot tarballs using a tool that doesn't require
superuser privileges like mmdebstrap (or debootstrap with the patch from
#829134) then you can essentially build arbitrary packages inside arbitrary
chroots without ever becoming root or touching anything outside your home
directory, given that you at some point did "sysctl -w
kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1" until #898446 is fixed.

Thanks!

cheers, josch