Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos

Hi,

Following to Mo Zhou's thread of Conda and Debian, it reminds me that,
could Debian reduced into a "proof of concept" as an operating system
with collection of apps and things composed of completely free software,
as more and more software repositories are moving away from the free
software repositories like Debian, and userland repositories and app
containers becomes more prominent and easier to access.  I feel the fear
when I was in a flatpak session in DebConf17.

It can be a "solid base" of container images and barebone systems, but
the days are numbered as operating systems as free and focused on its
mission (like Google COOS, Yocto, Alpine etc.) is evolving steady.

Could it be a disaster for us?  And more importantly, do users care?

Best regards,
Yao Wei