Re: systemd services that are not equivalent to LSB init scripts

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 00:00 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Theodore Ts'o - 14.07.19, 22:07:
> > So requiring support of non-systemd ecosystems is in general, going to
> > require extra testing.  In the case of cron/systemd.timers, this
> > means testing and/or careful code inspection to make sure the
> > following cases work:
> >
> >         * systemd && cron
> >         * systemd && !cron
> >         * !systemd && cron
> >
> > Support of non-systemd ecosystems is not going to be free, and some
> > cases, it is not going to be fun, something which many have asserted
> > should be something we should be striving for.  The challenge is how
> > do we develop the consensus to decide whether or not we force
> > developers to pay this cost.
>
> I believe forcing someone who does volunteer work by maintaining
> packages for Debian is not going to work out. Or even more so: I do not
> see how Debian project could force developers. The only effective way to
> force anything would be to threaten with loosing membership status or
> privileged. But I would not go that route as I see it as destructive
> one.
[...]

We can't force individual developers to do anything, and yet we manage
to release with a large number of packages that mostly follow policy.
If it's our policy that packages must support cron (where applicable)
then a failure to do so can be fixed by any developer, following the
usual process.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings