Re: systemd services that are not equivalent to LSB init scripts

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 07:23:31PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> Some systemd system services are meant to start on-demand via socket
> events (systemd.socket(5)), and can work via inetd on non-systemd-booted
> systems. micro-httpd appears to be an example of this - I'm a bit surprised
> there aren't more. Perhaps this indicates limitations in the infrastructure
> around inetd services making it hard to implement "use systemd.socket(5)
> under systemd or inetd otherwise"?

The main limitation seems to be that it's not permitted to modify
inetd.conf from maintainer scripts. We could probably "fix" this by adding
an "inetd.conf.d" mechanism.

In the same way, we could implement "service monitoring" in sysvinit by
adding an "inittab.d" directory, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not the first
person who had this idea in the last thirty years, so there is probably a
reason why it hasn't been done.

   Simon