Re: git & Debian packaging sprint report

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 20:54 +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Russ Allbery writes:
> > If so, I think that security model is roughly equivalent to the automatic
> > signing of binary packages by buildds, so probably doesn't introduce a new
> > vulnerability,
>
> It doesn't rely on strong cryptographic hashes to guarantee integrity.
> To quote Wikipedia:
>
> +---
> > Revision control systems such as Git, Mercurial, and Monotone use
> > SHA-1 not for security but to identify revisions and to ensure that
> > the data has not changed due to accidental corruption.
> +---[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1#Data_integrity ]
>
> But developers could instead just sign artifacts using a strong
> cryptographic hash that will be included in the source package; for
> example the .orig.tar and .debian.tar which can be made reproducible
> (git-archive is supposed to be reproducible; compression might not be so
> just sign the uncompressed version).
[...]

There is already a convention for adding tarball signatures using git
notes, though it would need to be adapted for the two tarballs in non-
native packages.

See
<https://manpages.debian.org/buster/cgit/cgitrc.5.en.html#SIGNATURES>
and the "git-archive-signer" script in