Re: Is it the job of Lintian to push an agenda?

Matthias Klumpp <mak@debian.org> writes:

> With two Debian stable releases defaulting to systemd now, I think a
> solid case could be made to at least relax the "must" requirement to a
> "should" in policy (but that should better go to the respective bug
> report).

The Policy process is not equipped to deal with this because that process
requires fairly consensus, and I don't believe that's possible to reach on
this topic.

I don't know what decision-making process the project should use here: a
big thread on debian-devel (wow, that sounds fun), a bunch of in-person
conversations at DebConf (probably way more productive but excludes some
folks), the TC (tried and didn't work very well), a GR, some new mediated
consensus process, or what.  Or maybe some working group that goes all-in
on creating a "good enough" automated translation from unit files to
sysvinit scripts and we support sysvinit that way and thereby dodge the
problem.

But, and I'm putting my Policy Editor delegate hat on to say this, I
believe the Policy process is the wrong tool to use here because it will
not converge.  (That said, Sean, as the other Policy Editor delegate,
should feel free to disagree if he thinks I'm wrong.)