Re: Apt-secure and upgrading to bullseye

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 02:30:24PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:31:51PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Hooray, buster's released!  Congrats to all!
>
> Indeed! ☺
>
> > E: Repository 'http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'buster' to 'bullseye'
> > N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
>
> There are various reports about that against apt/aptitude, so I am not
> feeling like adding lots of duplicated content now, but the gist is:
>
> Either use "apt update" (it will ask an interactive question) or
> "apt-get update --allow-releaseinfo-change" (see apt-get manpage) or
> [least preferred option] set the config option
> Acquire::AllowReleaseInfoChange for basically any apt-based client.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions; I discovered "apt update" through
a Google search.

But I realised later that this is going to bite all users when they
come to upgrade from buster.  Perhaps some aptitude and apt-get
patches can go into a stable (buster) point release, so that fewer
users are hurt by this in 2-3 years' time?  It is quite a showstopper!

Best wishes,

   Julian