Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Paul Wise writes ("Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format"):
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:37 AM Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > I don't recognise the repository structure that was raised by myself and
> > > some others: A VCS repository that contains only the Debian packaging
> > > files, which at build time is then exported to a non-VCS working tree
> > > and moerged with the upstream source.
> >
> > How do you handle needed changes to the upstream source?  Or do you just
> > never make any changes to the upstream source?
>
> I make the changes upstream, make a new release (or wait for upstream
> to do so) and then update the Debian package.

What should another Debian contributor do, who wants to make a change
to the upstream source, but wants to do so in your own git workflow
and collaborate via your git branch, rather than by uploading a .dsc ?

I think they would need to use quilt[1].  (And indeed if they saw your
git branch and were familiar with the "bare debian" structure they
would know what to do.)

So that explains why your branch format is listed in that table as
requiring quilt.

Ian.

[1] Or convert the package to some other format for doing their
development work and testing, or base their actual development work
and testing on a dgit import, and then convert the result back to your
git branch at the end.  Certainly that is what I would do.