Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 10:52:46PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I suspect Ian is assuming that some amount of that is always necessary
> when saying that "tools like Quilt" are required.  I have to admit that
> I'm quite impressed that you *never* have any reason to need to do this
> when packaging, since I have routinely needed to make upstream changes as
> part of packaging even for packages for which I'm also the sole upstream.
> (Usually they're short-term, but I've had to carry patches for a year or
> two until I could find a good upstream fix that wasn't Debian-specific.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  It feels mildly ridiculous but is often
the right answer.  (I also reasonably often end up cherry-picking small
bug-fixes as temporary Debian patches to packages where I'm also the
upstream maintainer, usually when the bug doesn't really justify making
an upstream release right now but is particularly annoying for Debian
users, or sometimes even when it's actually a Debian-specific problem
but the proper fix belongs in upstream code rather than packaging.)