Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> What should another Debian contributor do, who wants to make a change
> to the upstream source, but wants to do so in your own git workflow
> and collaborate via your git branch, rather than by uploading a .dsc ?

I'm increasingly baffled here. Why does anyone need anything but the
existing VCS tools (to work with upstream's VCS) and the DEP-3 patch
format (to represent the changes in Debian packaging) for this?

> I think they would need to use quilt[1].

Are we talking here about the “3.0 (quilt)” package source format? I
don't consider that “using Quilt” because no maintainer of the package
needs to even know what Quilt is, let alone use it, for that format to
work.

If someone finds Quilt makes the job easier, more power to them; but I
don't see it as any kind of requirement in the workflow. Not even
noteworthy in discussing the packaging workflow.

> So that explains why your branch format is listed in that table as
> requiring quilt.

Unless there's something I'm missing here, I think that's just a false
statement.

--
 \      “I have a large seashell collection, which I keep scattered on |
  `\    the beaches all over the world. Maybe you've seen it.” —Steven |