Re: dgit advocacy again (Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I have said before that I think using "dgit push" (where possible) is
> an ethical imperative.  (I should clarify that I *don't* mean that
> people who aren't using "dgit push" yet are bad people.  Life is so
> full of ethical imperatives that no real human could meet them all,
> and of course Debian's right to call on volunteer effort is limited.)

Perhaps “ethical imperative” isn't what you mean, then? I understand an
ethical imperative to be instruction demanded ethically (e.g. “don't
trade people as property”). If one fails to dobey an ethical imperative,
one *is* necessarily a bad person.

Certainly I hope you don't consider that anyone who chooses not to use
‘dgit’ is thereby an ethical villain; and so I hope you'll avoid the
term “ethical imperative” for your instruction there.

Your meaning seems better expressed by an “ethical virtue”; some
instruction (e.g. “donate time at a homeless shelter”) which when a
person follows it makes that person praiseworthy, but which we do not
condemn every person who fails to follow it.

--
 \      “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O |
  `\           Lord, make my enemies ridiculous!’ And God granted it.” |