Re: OpenCL / handling of hardware-specific packages

On 01/07/2019 18:10, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
On 19.06.19 09:09, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
I proposed [0] fixing this by creating a metapackage for "all OpenCL
drivers" (similar to the ones for graphics).  However, having unusable
OpenCL drivers installed can trigger bugs: [1] in llvm, and some
applications that treat "no hardware for this driver" as "fatal error"
instead of "try the next driver".

So, installing an opencl-based package pulls in *all* cl driver stacks ?

If we do the above, yes by default, but the user can prevent this by explicitly installing any one.

Please don't do that. This IMHO clearly belongs into the operator's
hands

Do you mean "not as long as it would cause the above bugs" or "not ever"? If the latter, is it because of wasted storage/bandwidth or something else?

Do you also believe that the existing hardware-related -all packages (printer-driver-all(-enforce), va-driver-all, vdpau-driver-all, xserver-xorg-input-all, xserver-xorg-video-all) should not exist / should not be installed by default?

(or possibly some installer magic).

Do we have such a mechanism?  I agree this would be better if it existed.

The AppStream metadata format includes a field for "hardware this works with", and beignet-opencl-icd has one, but I don't know if any existing tools use this field.