Re: OpenCL / handling of hardware-specific packages

On 01.07.19 23:59, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:

Hi,

>> So, installing an opencl-based package pulls in *all* cl driver stacks ?
>
> If we do the above, yes by default, but the user can prevent this by
> explicitly installing any one.

Ok, that's fine, as long as it doesn't cause the already mentioned problems.

>> Please don't do that. This IMHO clearly belongs into the operator's
>> hands
>
> Do you mean "not as long as it would cause the above bugs" or "not
> ever"?  If the latter, is it because of wasted storage/bandwidth or
> something else?

Bandwidth and install time is one issue, another is storage (yes, some
folks actually care about storage, eg. w/ containers :p), another is
reducing code and therefore potential bugs and attack surface.
In general, I'd like to keep my systems as minimal as possible.

> Do you also believe that the existing hardware-related -all packages
> (printer-driver-all(-enforce), va-driver-all, vdpau-driver-all,
> xserver-xorg-input-all, xserver-xorg-video-all) should not exist /
> should not be installed by default?

I don't have a problem with those packages, but there shouldn't
be dependencies on them, so that suddenly hundreds of packages
come in when just one is needed.

Maybe there should be some selection mechanism (not sure how
that could be implemented, yet).

>> (or possibly some installer magic).
>
> Do we have such a mechanism?  I agree this would be better if it existed.

Honestly, I don't know. Perhaps that deserves a more detailed
discussion. At that point it would also be nice if we could
configure things like which editor or mailer to install.

Maybe this could be done w/ some virtual package + equivs magic.
I'll have to think about this ...

> The AppStream metadata format includes a field for "hardware this works
> with", and beignet-opencl-icd has one, but I don't know if any existing
> tools use this field.

I don't like the idea of making driver packages depending
on some desktop stuff :o

IMHO, it should be handled on dpkg/apt level.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287