Re: Uninformative hyperlink in O: (package orphaning) bug reports

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:37:58AM +0200, Michael Kesper wrote:
> Hi Boyuan,
>
> On 27.06.19 21:38, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> [I'm also not sure what's the best mailing list for discussing this, devel, doc, mentors?]
>
> > I noticed that for all bug reports that orphan a package in Debian, a semi-
> > standard paragraph of words will be provided like this:
> >
> > ========
> >
> > ...Maintaining a package requires time and skills. Please only adopt this
> > package if you will have enough time and attention to work on it.
> >
> > If you want to be the new maintainer, please see
> > https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#howto-o for detailed
> > instructions how to adopt a package properly....
> >
> > ========
> >
> > However, https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#howto-o provides almost zero
> > information for an enthusiast that want to adopt the package, i.e. there's no
> > detailed instruction on how to actually upload a package for a person not
> > quite familiar with Debian's packaging workflow.
> >
> > I'd suggest some kind of rewording on the website given that this link has
> > been posted everywhere in different BTS bug reports. Including a link to
> > https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers might be a good idea. Anyway any
> > kind of improvement would be appreciated.
>
> That's a very good point you spotted there.
> This text actively discourage people from doing work and gives them no pointers
> to information re the "requred time and skills" would be.

I agree.

> That clearly should be improved, maybe:
>
> Maintaining a package requires time and skills.
> Please have a look at https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
> for getting started.
>
> [and intro-maintainers should at first feature some welcoming words and then
> the right documentation for beginners (is that
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/index.en.html or

Yes.

> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html ?)

No since I don't want to maintain 2 of them forever.

If you see some important tutorial contents are missing in debmake-doc
which you can find them in maint-guide, please file a bug on debmake-doc
with proposed text.   If it is something as guideline, you may propose
it to developers-reference.  (FYI: I am trying to convert
developers-reference to sphinx now and working on a branch.  Any
volunteer to help this is appreciated.)

Osamu