Re: Uninformative hyperlink in O: (package orphaning) bug reports

Hi Boyuan,

On 27.06.19 21:38, Boyuan Yang wrote:
[I'm also not sure what's the best mailing list for discussing this, devel, doc, mentors?]

> I noticed that for all bug reports that orphan a package in Debian, a semi-
> standard paragraph of words will be provided like this:
>
> ========
>
> ...Maintaining a package requires time and skills. Please only adopt this
> package if you will have enough time and attention to work on it.
>
> If you want to be the new maintainer, please see
> https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#howto-o for detailed
> instructions how to adopt a package properly....
>
> ========
>
> However, https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#howto-o provides almost zero
> information for an enthusiast that want to adopt the package, i.e. there's no
> detailed instruction on how to actually upload a package for a person not
> quite familiar with Debian's packaging workflow.
>
> I'd suggest some kind of rewording on the website given that this link has
> been posted everywhere in different BTS bug reports. Including a link to
> https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers might be a good idea. Anyway any
> kind of improvement would be appreciated.

That's a very good point you spotted there.
This text actively discourage people from doing work and gives them no pointers
to information re the "requred time and skills" would be.

That clearly should be improved, maybe:

Maintaining a package requires time and skills.
Please have a look at https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
for getting started.

[and intro-maintainers should at first feature some welcoming words and then
the right documentation for beginners (is that
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/index.en.html or
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html ?)

Bye
Michael