Re: The Difference between debcheckout and dgit and what they try to accomplish

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 11:51:14PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> What if you took away the necessary guesswork?
>
> Have dgit support a field in debian/control that, if it exists, explains
> to dgit (and any other tool that might care) what the workflow type is.
> This would require a categorization of all the possible git layouts, and
> would initially obviously not support all of them.

This reminds me of something that popped up in a dinner discussion a few
days ago: mandate documenting workflow in debian/README.source no matter
what, and allow to symlink that file to a repository in
/usr/share/doc/somewhere/ as we do for common licenses.

That way, there is a standard, machine readable way to detect standard
workflows, everything is documented no matter what, common workflow
documentation can grow without changes to packages, and people are
encouraged to adopt a standard workflow, because they come already
documented.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>