Re: Programs contain ads - acceptable for packaging for Debian?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 13:15:26 +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> Suppose that an upstream has released a program which its license conforms
> to DFSG (named ZZZ), but when I test it, ads placed by the upstream appear
> (such as pop up ads). Since ads can affect user experience of ZZZ, but at
> the same time the upstream get paid by ad networks which he place the ads
> into ZZZ, would it acceptable to package ZZZ for Debian?

Personal opinion only:

If the ads give a third-party ad network the opportunity to track the
users of ZZZ, then I'd consider that to be an important bug, and it
would not be appropriate to package ZZZ without removing them (assuming
the license allows for that, which it should if it is DFSG-compliant).

Requesting donations in a way that does not contact the internet unless
the user takes action to do so (such as the text hyperlink to Flattr in
ikiwiki's file:///usr/share/doc/ikiwiki/html/index.html) seems fine.

Anything between those is less well-defined and would have to be looked
at case-by-case.

    smcv