Re: speeding up installs

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:56:53PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Most debian systems are not installed with d-i.  When you include things
> like FAI for installing sites and clusters; chroots, containers, VMs,
> etc, d-i is not used in most situations.

Your 'most' does not match mine.

I played with FAi once, for a project where I'd have to do some
reproducible installations. That was in 2004. Since then, every
bare-metal Debian installation that I've done (and there have been
hundreds, if not thousands) has been done using d-i (often with
preseeding to automate things, though).

d-i is our default installer. There are alternatives, yes; but let's not
assume it's not used very much and therefore it doesn't matter what it
does. It's used a lot, in my experience.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard