Re: speeding up installs

    Adam> On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 10:23:08PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:

So, d-i over serial is important and is likely to stay that way.

If I'm actually having to interact with an installer, I prefer an
accessible GUI most, a CLI second and a TUI third.

But the community of blind users has disagreement on this issue.  I got
flamed fairly aggressively for suggesting that perhaps Amazon didn't
really need to care about the accessibility of Kindle on text web
browsers for DOS given that it worked fine on Firefox on Debian.

But if I'm interacting with an installer something has gone horribly
wrong.
I guess I do tend to run debootstrap on a live system to install my
laptop.
But for everything else I've used something higher-level.

Most debian systems are not installed with d-i.  When you include things
like FAI for installing sites and clusters; chroots, containers, VMs,
etc, d-i is not used in most situations.

So I'd argue that in the long run we actually want the speed
improvements at a tool at about the deebootstrap level.  You've made
some good arguments that the interface of such a tool needs to change
significantly based on your findings.  But I want these speed
improvements for fai, fai-diskimage, all the other image creation tools,
as well as d-i runs.