Re: @debian.org mail

On 2019-06-03 11:37:39 [-0400], Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'd much rather pay money and allow members who do want to use their own
> infrastructure to do so rather than set up an SPF record and force
> everyone to go through the debian mxes.

With my kernel.org address I get mail forwarding and a SMTP server for
sending emails ->
   https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/mail

A SMTP server for mail deliver used by DDs would be money much better
spent than paying random companies to get @debian.org on their
whitelist. After all, a random person can post using leader@debian.org
and his dial-up or $2 VM and getting through the whitelists.

I don't get the point why the debian machines would get a copy of email
email sent. It ends up in the spool folder and gets deleted once
delivered. Also I don't see the point why using a specific machine mail
delivery is problem.

> I'd prefer to find a way to do none of the above and still get
> reasonable email reputation with the large providers.

Nope. I don't mind that email is forwaded only but SMTP should be part
of the email setup.

> I think this is a case where serving our users and being practical is
> more important than a moralistic stand.  If Ian's right that we could
> somehow use our political power to make a difference, I'd be open to
> considering that.

I don't understand what you want do with the "political power".

> --Sam

Sebastian