Re: ZFS in Buster

Hi Mo and Theodore,

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 4:04 AM Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> Also, it's not accurate that "linux developers didn't accept".  Ryan
> sent a query to Linus, and Linus didn't respond.  I don't know if he
> sent a single message, or whether he retried a couple of times.  A
> failure to respond is not the same as a rejection.  There are plenty
> of reasons why Linus might not have responded.

Without a long-term agreement between the Linux Kernel and the OpenZFS
project the whole community will suffer. Opensource is about finding
paths to collaborate.

Now lustre is based on ZFS, this kernel regression will impact the HPC
community.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that OracleZFS benefits from the
improvements made by OpenZFS. If there is an agreement between the
Linux Kernel and the OpenZFS project to convert OpenZFS to GPL, then
Oracle won't benefit any more from OpenZFS and they will be forced to
release the original ZFS code as GPL.

Below you can find an excerpt from the GitHub discussion.

On Jan 19 , 2019 Ryan wrote:

> Recent events WRT Linux 5.0 have made me reconsider user requests
> to pursue mainline inclusion. Linus Torvalds told me in person in 2014
> that he requires signed off from Oracle to merge the code.
> That is not happening, but it occurs to me that it should be possible to
> replace all Oracle copyrighted kernel code with new code over a long
> period of time (several years). This would bypass the need for Oracle’s
> signed off. It would also give us the ability to switch the kernel module
> to a dual CDDL/GPL.

> I suspect that the Illumos community would find the GPL
> (or even the LGPL) more acceptable than a BSD license. When
> Illumos was started, they stated that they do not want Oracle to be
> able to use their code without Oracle giving their changes back.

I understand that ZoL would like to convert OpenZFS to GPL, but they
will need the help and support of the Linux Kernel developers.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:47 PM Mo Zhou <lumin@debian.org> wrote:

> 0.7.12-2 works with 4.19.37, but it will be badly broken when the first
> point release of Buster is out. Foreseeable stable RC is grave enough:
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929929

This Linux kernel regression will break lot of computers and people
might loose data. Most of the users will have no clue why their
computer is not working and will blame Debian and the opensource
software.

Best,
Daniel