Re: ZFS in Buster

Hi Dan and Jonathan,

On 2019-05-28 18:49, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On 2019/05/28 18:43, Dan wrote:
>> ZFS 0.8 has been released with lots of improvements, notably encryption.
> Yep, it's an exciting feature.

I've already uploaded ZFS 0.8 to experimental. But beware, the original
0.8.0 release has a regression bug which may cause data loss. I've
patched
that bug in the 0.8.0-2 upload but we are not sure whether there are
still
regression bugs hiding there. We plan to postpone the 0.8.0 exp->sid
migration even after the Buster release.

>> Sadly the Linux Kernel has introduced a commit in kernel 4.19 and 5.0
>> that prevents ZFS from using SIMD. The result is that ZFS won't be
>> usable in Buster. See the following issue
>> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8793
>
> Buster ships zfs-dkms version 0.7.12-2 though, which works just fine on
> buster.

0.7.12-2 works with 4.19.37, but it will be badly broken when the first
point release of Buster is out. Foreseeable stable RC is grave enough:

>> Would it be possible to provide an alternative patched linux kernel
>> that works with ZFS?

It seems that persuading the kernel team to patch the kernel
specifically for ZFS is impossible -- that's an dead end.
Another dead end is unblocking 0.7.13-1 .

Our last resort is to revert debdiff(0.7.12-2,0.7.12-5) and
apply the following patch (a part of the 0.7.12->0.7.13 diff):
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/commit/e22bfd814960295029ca41c8e116e8d516d3e730

This patch is not a solution but actually a compromise.

For personal Buster users there are two choices:
1. Pin kernel version (<< 4.19.38) and never upgrade. (assume
   the system admin knows what this means)
2. Patch the stable kernel locally.
3. Wait for 0.8.X/stable-backports which might contain a descent
solution.