Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 13:50 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:

> dgit-maint-merge -> dgit-maint-debrebase would indeed be the
> convert-from-dgit-view subcommand.  If I were dealing with this, for
> simplicity, I would start from the point of just having made an upload.
> That way you know your HEAD is a valid dgit view.
>
> dgit-maint-debrebase -> dgit-maint-merge would be simply to stop using
> the `git debrebase` tool.
>
> dgit-maint-debrebase -> dgit-maint-merge -> dgit-maint-debrebase might
> get tricky, because `git debrebase` might get confused by your git
> history.  I think, though, that any problems would count as bugs in the
> convert-from-dgit-view subcommand.

Excellent, thanks for confirming/explaining.

> Switching between dgit-maint-gbp and either -merge or -debrebase is
> tricky because you are going from patches-unapplied to patches-applied.
> What I think you would want to do is use convert-from-gbp, and then if
> you wanted -merge, just don't invoke `git debrebase` anymore.  But I am
> not sure.

Yes, I can see how that case is more complex. I think for me at least
that would mean I would simply prefer debrebase anyway so being able to
cycle via gbp wouldn't worry me too much.

> Do you think it would be helpful to add sections to both the -merge and
> -debrebase manpages saying this stuff?

I do, yes, it would knock a potential mental rathole (at least for
me...) out of the picture.

Ian.