Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Gard Spreemann writes ("Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git"):
> Recently, upstream has finally started using git. What is the
> recommended way for me to maintain a sane branch structure for the
> packaging repository while starting to use upstream's git master as the
> upstream branch to follow?

The dgit workflow manpages present a smorgasbord of possibilities to
choose from.  (You can use much of this without dgit, but of course
everyone should be using dgit.)

Look at the intro to each of these and see which one you think might
be best:
 https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-merge.7.en.html
 https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-debrebase.7.en.html
 https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-gbp.7.en.html
 https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-native.7.en.html

Adam mentioned gbp-pq, which is discussed in dgit-maint-gbp(7), and
using plain `git merge', which is discussed in dgit-maint-merge(7).

The dgit-maint-merge(7) manpage intro is particularly good at helping
select a workflow.

dgit-maint-debrebase uses my new git-debrebase tool which you may find
easier than gbp pq.

Ian.