Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Hello,

On Mon 29 Apr 2019 at 02:12PM +01, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Are there any docs/advice on switching back and forth between these (or
> at least switching between dgit-maint-merge and one of the patch
> queueish ones)?
>
> When trying to chose I seem to find myself thinking along the lines
> "merge would be fine right now, but whatif..." or "I have a big queue
> now which isn't going anyway but I really hope it will go away
> (eventually)".
>
> I'm not thinking anyone would flip regularly or anything, but just
> knowing that flipping between them in something approaching a sane way
> was possible at all would give some confidence to make a choice in the
> here and now without getting too paralysed by the need to make a
> decision.
>
> I think (but don't know) that the answer is that if your queue drops to
> zero you have effectively flipped back to the dgit-maint-merge world.
> If you find you want to go the other way then I'm less clear (except
> perhaps that is `git debrebase convert-from-dgit-view` and then commit
> to non-debian/ as usual?).

dgit-maint-merge -> dgit-maint-debrebase would indeed be the
convert-from-dgit-view subcommand.  If I were dealing with this, for
simplicity, I would start from the point of just having made an upload.
That way you know your HEAD is a valid dgit view.

dgit-maint-debrebase -> dgit-maint-merge would be simply to stop using
the `git debrebase` tool.

dgit-maint-debrebase -> dgit-maint-merge -> dgit-maint-debrebase might
get tricky, because `git debrebase` might get confused by your git
history.  I think, though, that any problems would count as bugs in the
convert-from-dgit-view subcommand.

Switching between dgit-maint-gbp and either -merge or -debrebase is
tricky because you are going from patches-unapplied to patches-applied.
What I think you would want to do is use convert-from-gbp, and then if
you wanted -merge, just don't invoke `git debrebase` anymore.  But I am
not sure.

Do you think it would be helpful to add sections to both the -merge and
-debrebase manpages saying this stuff?

--
Sean Whitton