Re: is Wayland/Weston mature enough to be the default desktop choice in Buster?

On 4/6/2019 11:41 PM, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Sure, and I've tried libinput with X.Org and for me it's the same subpar
> experience as on Wayland. The difference is that with X.Org I can install
> the synaptics driver.

I think it'd be worthwhile to try and articulate a bug report for
libinput as to what is sub par about it - apart from being subtly
different from synaptics. In particular I have found them to be very
responsive. Some touchpads do need quirks and they have documentation
how to record and replay touchpad input[1] for debugging purposes.

Both Linux (with libinput) and Windows (with "Precision" drivers) now go
the way of processing the events in software only rather than having
proprietary processing in the touchpad. Once the kinks are ironed out
that should actually yield a better, more consistent experience.

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern

[1] https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tools.html