Re: is Wayland/Weston mature enough to be the default desktop choice in Buster?

Hi!

On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 16:12:22 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> I was surprised to learn — by way of synaptic being autoremoved — that
> the default desktop in Buster will be GNOME/Wayland. I personally do not
> think that Wayland is a sensible choice for the default *yet*; and if
> the consequence is that bugs for software that do not work properly with
> Wayland have their severity inflated such that they are autoremoved (and
> thus potentially removed entirely from Buster), a decision that — in
> isolation — makes sense to me; although Synaptic is quite a high profile
> package within Debian for this to happen.

I don't use GNOME at all, but I tried to switch to Wayland last month
(from i3 to sway), and sadly the experience lasted only a couple of days.

I noticed that not all big desktop programs support Wayland natively
(such as Chromium), or do so out of the box (such as Qt or KDE), this
implies you need to have XWayland running most of the time, which
consumes around 100 MiB of resident memory. Wayland also uses libinput
which I've found to be subpar compared to the synpatics input drivers.
There seems to be also some issue with Qt/KDE programs and text DPI.

The other were problems specific to sway so not relevant to this thread,
but the issues in general were annoying enough that even if I'd really
like to fully switch, I didn't find this was good enough for now.

Although I don't think I care about the default desktop, as users can
select whatever they want at install time or switch to something else,
I can see Jonathan's reasoning that this can inadvertently affect other
bystanders.

Thanks,
Guillem