Re: Bits from /me: Difficulties in Deep Learning Framework Packaging

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 01:38:22AM +0000, Mo Zhou wrote:
> Hi Adrian,

Hi Mo,

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:07:34PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The work Mo spent on the already-outdated tensorflow package in
> > experimental was wasted if there is noone who continues maintaining it.
> > And the same would be true for other new packages if the packager
> > disappears afterwards.
>
> Debian should have already got used to the fact that volunteers are
> scarce resource.

Are they scarce or scared away?

I had some points in [1] regarding the problems of volunteers trying to
get contributions in Debian.

> > What is actually needed are one (or ideally several) people with
> > a long-term commitment to maintain these packages.
>
> I think most of such long-term + high-workload maintaining works are
> actually backed by salary.

>From what I am aware, I would say it is pretty much an exception when
maintaining packages in unstable is paid work.

Especially long-term, apart from Canonical there are not many companies
that have an interest in Debian that does not go away after their next
round of restructure+layoffs.

cu
Adrian

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2019/03/msg00199.html