Re: native packages? (Re: Introducting Debian Trends: historical graphs about Debian packaging practices, and "packages smells")

Hi,

On 15.04.19 21:23, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Generating an upstream tarball in this case is still useful because this
> way we do not need to upload and store forever the full source archive
> every time that something changes only in the packaging.

That, and upstream tarballs generated with "git archive" have a magic
comment tag that says which revision was used to build them, so we don't
even lose information.

$ git archive --format=tar HEAD | git get-tar-commit-id
973188bd3b4628646c53ca9ab9bf71cc95eadd43

   Simon