Re: [Idea] Debian User Repository? (Not simply mimicing AUR)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 04:31:24PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> +1, it's a good idea and I've thought of it before as well.

Nice!

> Reading some of the initial replies to your post, it seems like people
> don't entirely understand what you mean by an AUR-like service. This
> would definitely be different than PPAs (in the launchpad sense) or
> bikesheds (which is still a terrible name for all the confusion it causes).

Yes, and now real working example is available, see following.

> Have you put any thought in possible implementation yet? I don't think
> it's a good idea to devise any kind of new source packages. It's

Inventing yet-another wheel is unwise, undoubtedly. Only something
less than a tiny overhead is acceptable. Only in this way can
we use all existing mature development tools and documentations.

> probably not even necessary to use existing source packages. If you'd
> have the standard debian packaging for such an AUR^W... DUR? in a git
> repository (maybe like salsa.debian.org/dur/*) with a standardised git
> workflow for these, then it should be rather trivial to implement with a
> helper script that fetches the upstream source and just builds that
> package locally. So I think from a technical point of view, implementing
> something like AUR for Debian doesn't seem so hard. It can also act as a
> nice gateway to proper Debian development.

If we ignore the web part, a functional yet rushed demonstration is
available here:

https://github.com/dupr/duprkit

If you follow the instructions there, you will be able to pull the default
packaging collection, do searching by keyword, and build some demo
packages (they are really working).

Specifically, I drafted 2 new plain file format specifications:
f822 (means folded deb822), and durpkg (mimicing PKGBUILD).

 * f822 format allows you squash the whole debian/ directory into a single
   plain file, with a specification that cannnot be simpler[1]

 * durpkg is a concatenation of a shell script and an f822 file[2].
   the shell part[3] defines things like (1) how do prepare the source
   (2) how to apply some patch (3) how to build the .deb packages
   (4) how to clean (5) optionally user's customed hacks.

   Shell script introduces the MAXIMUM flexibility and allows the users
   to do virtually anything they want.

An user contributed collection looks like [4], see readme for directory
layout specification for a DUR? collection. The "duprkit" can be
configured to use other, or private collections as well.

Everything looks hacky since it's rushed within several hours. Many
details could be improved. However, this demonstration is enough
to illusrate what I'm thinking.

[1] https://github.com/dupr/duprkit/blob/master/bin/unfold#L25
[2] https://github.com/dupr/duprkit/blob/master/bin/unfold#L74
[3] https://github.com/dupr/DefaultCollection/blob/master/gotop/gotop.durpkg#L1-L38