Re: is Wayland/Weston mature enough to be the default desktop choice in Buster?

> * RockPro64, used as a desktop (I'm typing these words on it):
>   armsoc.  GNOME no workie.

Hows the 3D performance on this?

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08/27/rockpro64-rk3399-board-linux-review-ubuntu-18-04/

71fps or es2gears?

but that was a year ago... likely better now?

> * N900:
>   didn't try.  I don't suspect it could work, though.

N900, the 10 year old mobile phone?  Is GNOME in Debian configured to
use OpenGL ES, which is the only flavour this device talks?

> * qemu-kvm on work desktop:
>   [Host GPU is i915 (HD530)]: black screen in default buster's GNOME
>   (thus Wayland), Cinnamon at least gives a message.  Very likely something
>   with qemu's configuration -- but work time is not supposed to be spent
>   wrangling desktop environment problems, thus I did not investigate.

I had no problem starting gnome-shell with the qlx stuff, not that it
makes any sense to do that.

> On every single of the above setups XFCE works perfectly.

But have you tried GNOME on Xorg, which is the question of this thread?

Bastian

--
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
                -- Klingon Soldier, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown