Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> writes:

> With all due respect, you did not research the matter enough and neither
> am I... Just as I was checking online dictionaries to see if I've missed
> something as terrible as you say, I've found that "boob" is a reference
> to "embarrassing mistake" or "foolish or stupid person".  Evidence
> suggests that "weboob" may be semantically interpreted as word play
> around something entirely non sexual.

>   https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/boob
>   https://www.thefreedictionary.com/boob
>   https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boobs
>   https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dictionary%3A%20boobs

This attempt to manufacture excuses for upstream is absurd.

There is a ton of context here, both from the imagery on the upstream web
site and the other program names in the package.  It's completely obvious
that the word "boob" is referring to female anatomy, and the rest of the
package is an extended riff on that joke.

You can certainly disagree about how important that is or what impact it
might have, but let's at least be honest about the obvious intent.  Not
the slightest hint of mind reading is required.