Re: MBF proposal: python modules that fail to import

Hi,

Quoting Adam Borowski (2018-04-15 22:30:47)
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:45:45PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:38:27PM +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> > > The src:file package doesn't ship python{,3}-magic any longer, the change
> > > was two months ago. Mind to check how file got on this list?
> > I used "apt-cache showsrc python-magic" to get the source package and
> > Testsuite header. It seems that this is not the best approximation as it
> > includes non-recent versions. The list thus needs to be treated as an
> > overapproximation. I don't have a good idea how to fix that part atm.
> You can write a script to read apt-avail, parse it as 822, drop all entries
> that have an entry with same Package but higher Version.
>
> Not exactly brain surgery, but tedious enough that it should be providen
> _somewhere_.  And at least one moron has written exactly that but misplaced
> the script somewhere -- one more reason to have the wheel around so no one
> needs to reinvent it.

Alternatively, use "apt-cache showsrc --no-all-versions" which will print the
candidate version. The candidate version is usually the highest version
available to apt. If you combine this approach with chdist, then you should not
run into false positives anymore.

Or, if you want to follow Adam's approach reading apt-avail, and only retain
the highest version of each package you can use botch-latest-version to do the
filtering.

Thanks!

cheers, josch