Re: wicd-daemon-run_1.0_amd64.changes REJECTED

Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:

> Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Stepping back a bit I think the ideal situation is this:
>>
>>  * All packages have sysvinit scripts for compatibility.
>
> Preferably in a package maintained by someone who actually uses that
> daemon with sysvinit, rather than one maintained by someone who doesn't.
> (And bugs in the use of that package with sysvinit then belong to that
> separate package, where the work can be done by people who want that
> functionality. Also, s/All packages/All packages capable of running with
> sysvinit/.)

This seems like an odd idea to me; the init script for foo is always
going to be tightly coupled with foo. It seems straighforward to me that
both it should live in foo's source package and be maintained by the foo
maintainer - if they don't use its init script, then they can take
patches from people who are more expert in init scripts. The same would
apply to a foo systemd service file where the foo maintainer ran
sysvinit on their systems.

To try and pick a less contentious example: I maintain pcre2, which
includes a udeb. I am in no way, shape, or form an expert in the
installer (I use fai at work, frex, and my home system hasn't been
re-installed in years). It would be unhelpful to say "the udeb should be
in a package mainted by someone who actually uses pcre in the
installer".

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."