Re: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> How can it do so, though, if the build system hardcodes paths to
> binaries[1]? Isn't it better (and easier) to have non-usr-merged buildd
> chroots as long as we still support such systems?

> [1] Yes, I know policy says you shouldn't do that, but if there's a
> 3000-line upstream configure.ac file that does so all over the place,
> fixing that might be involved, for questionable benefit (exaggerating
> here, but you get the point).

This was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but just for the sake of
clarity, Policy doesn't say that.  Policy says only that maintainer
scripts should not hard-code paths.

Whether other binaries should or should not is a somewhat complicated
question that is a little case-dependent.  For instance, we decided in an
earlier debian-devel thread that Perl and Python scripts should hard-code
paths rather than using the env trick.

This therefore makes your point even stronger.