Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 03:08:09PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>>I disagree both that simple testing (that you could do with a KVM
>>snapshot as well) would be hard and I disagree that the benefits of
>>merged-/usr would be minor.
>
> Nobody has thus far pointed out a single benefit to someone merging usr
> on an ordinary system.

I'll bite.

I have systems that were installed ages ago, which now have
insufficiently large root partitions.

Some of them I've gone through the rather delicate procedure of resizing
partitions, some of which contain LVM, to make things fit.  Some of them
I've been able to move / onto LVM (with the side benefit of being able
to combine / and /boot into one, and thus make it big enough to have a
copy of grml on there).  Some are now populated with a lot of symlinks
to other partitions in a painful attempt to keep them small enough to be
useful.

Installing usrmerge seems like a way to restore sanity to the latter case.

Any of the above fixes requires one to do things that can easily result
in a trashed system if you do things in the wrong order, or get the
details wrong, so are not for the faint-hearted.

BTW whenever anyone says something like "Nobody" or "Never" in these
discussions, they are just asking to be contradicted.  I'm pretty sure
that people have been pointing out advantages of various sorts for some
time, but that you have your filters turned up high enough that none of
them have managed to lodge in your memory.  (I cannot be bothered to
actually come up with a citation, because it's pretty clear that doing
so would make no difference).

Cheers, Phil.