Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:26:44 -0500, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 09:24:40AM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>>usrmerge is in the archive for 3+ years now. What seems to be needed now is
>>for a lot of us to actually _try_ it, find and report bugs, and get this
>>through.
>
>There's no way I'm running it on a production system. I would be willing
>to run a report mode.

I would be willing to do this on production systems that can easily be
snapshotted and reverted in no time during an upgrade change, such as
VMs. Unless forced to, I'd rather not touch systems running on bare
metal and would need a restore-from-backup should usrmerge fail.

I'd really like Debian to take special care to not break my systems
and to not expose them to unnecessary risk. Customers have been moving
away from Debian towards Enterprise Linux for cheesy reasons (first we
didn't update fast enough, now we're updating too fast, and there is
no support for Debian, Debian uses systemd etc bla foo), the forced
usrmerge would add to those.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |