Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 06:06:16PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-11-24 at 15:21 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> [...]
> > Recent AMD GPUs use the "amdgpu" kernel driver and its accompanying Mesa
> > user-space driver, which is an open source stack if you don't count the
> > GPU firmware. It should be comparable to the situation on Intel integrated
> > GPUs (but a lot faster and more featureful, and probably with more bugs,
> > because the hardware is faster and more featureful). Expect to need a
> > recent (buster/sid) kernel, particularly for newer hardware.
>
> I installed an AMD RX550 based card last year.  It required updates to
> the kernel, firmware, X driver, and Mesa, which are all available in
> stretch-backports.

Oooh, sounds like you have at least some clue here -- _and_ there are
non-trivial things one should know.  As you can tell from my vitriol,
there's no way I'm going to use anything from nVidia -- yet I need to
replace most of my main home box quite badly.

Thus, are there any particular setups you'd recommend for someone running
unstable and Linus' current kernels?

Running -rc kernels is especially unfun if your card requires nVidia's
proprietary drivers (and so are X transitions in unstable).  Nouveau on the
other hand has problems on this own, usually crashes -- some reproducible
(like enabling xfce's compositor), some random.

The card I have right now crashed under load roughly once a week -- until I
got a higher resolution monitor.  Afterwards, the card can handle static
images (editor, browser, ...), but if I try a video or such, it crashes
every ~10 minutes bringing the whole kernel down.  Speak about "replacement
needed urgently"...

But, I don't blame this particular card.  Its predecessor went down in a
fire (thick smoke for the entire room, small but visible actual flame) so
it's likely the PCIe slot is suspect, not worth the risk replacing just the
GPU without a whole new motherboard (I put in an old but unopened card I
happened to have on storage).  I think I get the message this machine is
telling me...

A decade ago, ATI/AMD drivers were abysmal.  If I understand you right,
they have recently massively improved -- for the values of "recently" of
"not yet in Stretch" (which is fine for the likes of us).  After a string of
4 nVidia cards that brought me nothing but woe, I wish for something that
actually works.  And it'd be so nice if instead of having to do the
research, this here Ben guy told me "do this" so I can return to hacking on
things that have nothing in common with graphics drivers. :)

[Not so unrelated to copying in a restaurant. :p]

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,