Re: NEW and RC bugs (Re: julia_1.0.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Hi,
On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:52:48PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Holger Levsen writes ("Re: julia_1.0.0-1_amd64.changes REJECTED"):
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:19:33PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > Why is any of this a reason for an ftpmaster REJECT ?  I still think
> > > all of this should be handled as bugs (possibly RC bugs) in the BTS
> > > in the conventional way, after ACCEPT.
> >
> > because why accept rc-buggy software in the archive (when we know it's
> > rc-buggy), whether at NEW time or with any following upload?
>
> Because:
>
>  * Discussions about the RC bugs can be more effectively dealt with
>    using our existing discussion mechanisms, including primarily the
>    Debian BTS.  Compared to REJECT mails:
>      - Discussions in the BTS are more transparent
>      - Discussions in the BTS are better organised
>      - Discussions in the BTS can have wider participation
>      - Discussions in the BTS are better archived
>      - Discussions in the BTS have better metadata
>
>  * Publishing a work-in-progress in the Debian archive enables more
>    people to more easily help improve and fix it.

The experimental distribution is a good place for work in
progress. Maybe the rules for automatic rejects can be relaxed for
experimental so a package can go into the archive (and have e.g. the BTS
used for that version) if the maintainer doesn't want to fix the reject
right away.

Cheers,
 -- Guido