Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such

On 09/11/2018 20:26, Colin Watson wrote:
On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 05:41:53PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
Matthew Vernon writes ("Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such"):
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
This seems like a little bit of an overreaction to somebody removing a
single redundant line from a control file, though.  Is moving it really
worth the added friction?

It's more a reaction to the "if you didn't want random commits onto
master, you shouldn't have put it under debian/" policy. I don't, so I
shouldn't have.

We're not talking about "random" commits, though, are we ?  We're
talking about a commit that a DD thought was very likely a good idea.
Were they wrong ?  It would be nice to have a proper reference.

The particular commit was fine (and had it come as a MR or bug report or
whatever I'd have had no problem with it at all).

I guessed that the particular commit was
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/pcre2/commit/6c14b51ddfc45604fd805bcadc810d437f09a30f.
(The same developer has also been doing a number of other minor cleanups
in many other packages along the same lines.)

The fix is good.

But why the new debian/changelog? It is a honest question.

Regards,
Herbert