Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 07:42:13PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Granted, when I first experienced a git push not working after I
> uploaded some package, I was also puzzled and a bit annoyed that someone
> pushed into the master branch of 'my' package, but upon reflection I
> decided:
>
> - this is great. someone contributed to make *many* Debian packages
>   better.
> - git wise, I think, I reverted these commits, pushed my changes and
>   merged the reverted commits again. No big deal, except a bit of messy
>   history. There are several strategies to deal with, I choose the
>   quickest path.
> - I also learned to first do 'git fetch' before uploading. Maybe someone
>   put another present into git?

For the record, I think the strategy I took was even quicker:

 * "git push --follow-tags" *before* uploading (this has been my
   invariable habit for years)
 * oh, push failed.  "git pull --rebase" and resolve conflicts
 * check new commits
 * build source package again, test, push, upload