Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Ansgar Burchardt - 15.10.18, 16:03:
> On Mon, 2018-10-15 at 14:20 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 06:56:50AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > > I believe Andreas Henriksson is right, the packages are going to
> > > be
> > > removed unless someone with time and interest show up to take care
> > > of
> > > them.  A good start would be to split initscripts off from the
> > > sysvinit binary packages, to let them live separate lives.  It
> > > will be sad, but the proper way for Debian to handle unmaintained
> > > packages in a sad state.
> >
> > Is it worth interested parties reaching out to the Devuan project
> > regarding person-power for sysvinit maintenance?
>
> Please no.  I don't think it would help Debian to have toxic people
> maintain packages.
>
> (As an example, Devuan's infobot has fun facts like this one:
> "<+infobot> 'sth is poettering' means it acts invasive, possessive,
> destructive, and generally in an egocentric exacerbating negative way.
> ``this cancer is extremely poettering'' [...]")

Calling people "toxic" IMHO is quite similar to what Devuan's infobot
displays: Both are attacks on persons. And both are not helpful.

Anyway, I will make Devuan people aware of this discussion. Let's see
whether someone likes to cooperate.

--
Martin