Re: gbp import-orig has defeated me [and 1 more messages]

Hello,

On Tue 02 Oct 2018 at 12:59PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think you should not set any of these options.  I disagree with the
> discussion in that article surrounding the suggestion to use
> core.autocrlf=input.  Almost no-one should do this on Linux.
>
> In the Debian context, if the orig tarball contains files with cr-lf
> line endings, then so must your git tree.  So you must not tell git to
> convert things.
>
> If these files with cr line endings are a nuisance should probably
> complain to upstream.  It is highly unusual to provide a tarball
> containing DOS/Windows-format text files.  In the meantime you'll have
> to repack the tarball :-/.

I would like to suggest:

    % # clone from salsa
    % git remote add -f upstream https://github.com/google/googletest
    % git merge release-1.8.1
    % dch -v1.8.1-1 New upstream release.
    % git deborig

i.e. make your own tarball rather than putting in so much effort to use
exactly the one from upstream.

--
Sean Whitton