Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

> Ben Hutchings - 23.07.18, 02:34:
>> >
>> > You're right, that's strange that all this men want to tell what is
>> > accepted or not by women. I find it infantilizing for them.
>>
>> Sadly, the Debian community is still almost entirely male.  Those
>> women that are here may be afraid to speak up, because they see what
>> happens to women with opinions on the Internet.
>
> It would be good if women involved in the Debian project would speak up
> here. Of course I understand any hesitance to do so. I felt hesitance
> myself often enough, even as what is usually called male.

I won't speak for anyone else than me, so I won't claim to know why
others haven't stepped in into this discussion.

We have been through similar situations many times, so we kind of know
what to expect from them, particularly when upstream is apparently
trolling on purpose to see how far they can go until someone
complains. Stepping up and publicly complaining about these situations
generally leads to some kind of harassment and the usual accusations
of oversentitiveness, not being able to develop a thick skin,
restricting freedom of speech in such a way that one might think that
fixing the issue would immediately lead to a tyrannical totalitarian
dystopia, etc. I am not keen on enduring all that usually comes to us
when talking out loud in these situations that, honestly, I think are
intentionally crafted to burn us out until we eventually stop
complaining out of tiredness.

In my opinion, the messages should be clean up so that they are not
intentionally aggressive against any social group, and the binaries
should be renamed to more useful and less provocative names. The
reasons have been perfectly explained in previous emails, so I won't
repeat them. And, be aware that, if the messages and binary names stay
as they are, they will probably be a reference to support the argument
of us not being too welcoming, so we might as well have an
argumentative ready to explain it when confronted about it. But I'm
not gonna start a fight out of this, because I know what is coming,
and I also feel that it is what upstream wants in the same place.

I have the feeling that none of us really wants to be the target of
the retaliations. At least not me, sorry.

Greetings,
Miry