Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

On 7/22/18 2:50 AM, Wookey wrote:
> On 2018-07-21 12:54 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 01:34:19PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
>>> I refuse to judge the matter with my feelings.
>> Rationality has a place, but so do feelings.
>>
>> The names in this package are offensive, plain and simple.
> _To_some_people_.
>
> I think they're funny, which I think is what was intended by
> upstream. I enjoy a gratuitous boob-or-handjob mention as much as the
> next 14 year old. On the other hand I don't think the homophobic
> user-abuse is funny, but the authors probably do/did (apparently still do
> given the change from 'fag' to 'soyboy').
>
> Yes, it's pretty-much the definition of puerile humour. No it's not
> inclusive or welcoming. But on balance I think we should err on the
> side of live and let live, because this is a very diverse place, we
> don't agree on much beyond the benefits of free software, and
> providing useful software in Debian is a good thing for all our
> downstreams to choose from.
>
> So yes, I'd leave it in, whilst encouraging upstream to reduce the
> laddishness, because that is offputting for quite a lot of people, and
> is just no longer cool amongst adults. (if it ever was).

I think we are mixing two discussions here. One is, if the humor shown
is offensive for Debian to redistribute it. The other is, if the package
treats fellow-humans that have boobs (females, older males, others)
particularly badly.

>From what I observed in this thread, few consider the package to be
unbearingly offensive in its own right. This is in particular so since
the names of binaries are only seen after the installation. "weboob" is
a "web"-tool and shall be read as "web-oobs" by the unprimed reader.

This leaves it to the concern focusing with the naming on a body feature
that is mostly associated with females. I hence suggest to add
semantically mostly equivalent names that refer to features mostly
associated with males. Here some suggestions for the ones considered
most disturbing:

wetboobs -> dripdick
handjoob -> handjob
boobtracker -> dicktracker
flatboob -> accomodick
boobooks -> readick
boobcoming -> dickoming

This way, basically short of a dh_links instruction, we would maintain
our gender balance and don't start censoring what typically ends with
puberty, anyway.

Cheers,

Steffen