Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

On Thursday, 19 July 2018 7:43:39 PM AEST Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> weboob itself is fine, maybe. But there are various other binaries
> inside the weboob packages that aren't, at least not so much:
>
> wetboobs
> handjoob
> boobsize
> boobtracker
>
> like, seriously.

Yuck... :( Incredibly tasteless and probably intentionally controversial...

I see your point and I agree with you yet renaming might still be
inappropriate and/or ineffective. I'd like to see stronger justification for
replacing uncomfortable reference to part of human body because why should it
be uncomfortable? If double "O" is a problem then how are we not offended by
Google? If we swap body part reference to another body part like "leg" or
"arm", it becomes just ridiculous.

I have no intention to defend this particular package but more interested in
principle of justifying such actions.

> > Asking person to change his name because it is unpleasant to us would be
> > beyond rude.
>
> This is true, but not relevant to the issue at hand (which is about
> weboob).

That was about misuse of diversity statement. My point is about how
inappropriate renaming might be, if pushed too far.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking
our potential.
        -- Winston Churchill